Sunday, October 5, 2008

13.1 miles = sore legs, & fun memories!

Well, today ended my 4 months of training for the "City of Trees" 1/2 marathon adventure. Man, I am SO GLAD it is over!! It's just one of those things that excites you a little bit because you can't believe you're crazy enough to do it (twice-I'm a glutton for punishment!) But mainly you know it's going to hurt and be the longest couple of hours of your life. Well, needless to say, it was a great day, the weather held out for us - and I had way more friends doing it this time than last year, and that makes it all the more fun! My brother Scott decided to kick some butt a little bit earlier in the race this time around, ditching me and my old college room mate Lys at around mile 3... Needless to say, he shaved 16 minutes off of his race time from last year! And he just had knee surgery earlier this year. Pretty amazing.

Yup, as for me - well, I was in no big hurry to beat my time from last year, but I did shave off 6 minutes, so that was pretty cool. I'm thinking that maybe a little knee surgery might improve my odds if I'm ever crazy enough to do this again! I will say, though, that seeing my awesome hubby, and 2 adorable boys cheering me on every few miles was the highlight of my race. They are so amazingly supportive, I don't know how I lucked out! Oh, and I forgot to mention that we did have quite the entourage of fans (3 cars to be exact!) between my parents, my hubby, and my SIL - we were definitely the spoiled runners of the bunch. Thanks guys!

My speedy brother and the amazing landscape we got to view as we ran
Lys and I cruising down the sidewalk (she is a stud!)
My faithful, and absolutely adorable fans!
Closeups
Getting the munchies :D

2 comments:

Debbie Brown said...

Yea, you made it! How fun to have everyone there... it's amazing how the support and collective energy helps you push harder! Congrats to you!!!

Melissa said...

Proud of you Kel! I was at the Portland Marathon yesterday where some poor lady pooped in her cute running skirt during the race. Good thing that wasn't you or Alyssa! :)