Friday, August 22, 2008

A call for prayer

So, I just received a call - a call that breaks your heart, because you know the family involved is hurting beyond anything you can comprehend, and all that you know how to do is pray. I mentioned this family in a previous post, and you can read about them here. This family has shown so much grace in their dire situation, that I stand amazed at their reflection and radiance of what I would consider one of the worst family situations. Carmen was diagnosed almost 2 years ago with pancreatic cancer, and since has been in the fight of her life for complete healing. She's the kind of woman you wish to be someday, because her personality is magnetic, her laughter infectious, and her heart holy. She lost her father to the same cancer only years before.

"For dust you are and to dust you will return..." -Gen 3:19. None of us are guaranteed a long life here on this earth, and we are all just formed out of dust - but I can't help but stand here asking "why?" Why must this 40 yr old wife, mother of 3 small kids be struggling for life this day, bound to a hospital bed - now fighting pneumonia? I ask, boldly, that if you feel an inkling of compassion for this family, to lift them up in prayer this day. We, as the body of Christ, have a strong and powerful weapon within our grasp - and God never tires of our asking. So, I am asking what some might think is too impossible given Carmen's situation, I am asking God to heal her of this cancer, pneumonia, and restore to her health, joy, and rest.