Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Ramblings of a Single Mom...

That's right, for the week, I am experiencing life as a single mom - as Husband is still working hard in Argentina. Since most of my time has been spent in kid-conversations with very few moments of "adult" conversations - I have come up with some thoughts on a typical day of a mommy:

Mommy Basics:

10. You awake to the sound of either cheerful laughter or violent crying from your toddler's room.

9. Breakfast. You ask your toddler if they would like pancakes for breakfast. When they say "no, I want fish crackers" or "no pancakes, I want cookies" you realize bribing won't really work so they get pancakes anyways!

8. Bathtub time. I'm sure most kids rarely splash, or get ahold of the spray nozzle and soak the wall - or even use their brother as a human boogie board to ride out all those huge waves that occasionally occur in the tub...

7. Getting out of the tub time. 5 towels on the floor - rubber gloves and raincoat on - ten arms to dry them off, pin them down, and finally get those diapers on!

6. Getting dressed. You realize that getting in that daily exercise might be easier than you thought as you pin down your toddler while trying to put shoes, socks, shirt and pants on - all the while they are playing "who can be the squirmiest" with eachother.

5. Playtime. Anythings game, especially toilet paper rolls - mom's makeup bag - and the box full of q-tips, those are especially fun...

4. Snack. Food is always fun, especially when you can throw it on the ground and wait until mommy accidentally walks on it crushing it into the hardwood...

3. Errands. Get into the car - two sets of seatbelts put over squirmy legs... Constant questions of "where are we going?" "Can I have some chips?" and the occasional throwing of toys at eachother...

2. Going into the store. One in the front, the other in the cart. Making sure to pick the BIGGEST isle, so as to stay away from the grabby hands that pull in misc. items like rubberbands, or a large box of shoe polish...Only to be followed at check-out by "mommy....can I have..." (whoever put all of those kid toys in the checkout isle is a very mean person!)

1. Mommy realization: While checking out, you reach back to brush your hair off of your shoulder only to have it snag on a piece of food that had gotten stuck there from some one's grubby little hands (most likely fish crackers!)

That concludes my ramblings today on the life of a mom.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are my hero!!! If you need a break let me know! Starbucks provides a lovely breather:) wink wink.

N/A said...

Oh boy Kelli, I have no idea. You are my hero too! And all I have to complain about is all the cat hair on my clothes and cleaning out the litter box right now. I love seeing your boys smiling faces. Good luck with the new daisykdesign! -Danielle